How to Adjust Your Giro MIPS Helmet? Step-By-Step Explained.
Wearing a helmet while cycling is essential for safety, but ensuring that your helmet fits you correctly is equally important.
A poorly fitted helmet can be uncomfortable and compromise the protection it provides. Giro MIPS helmets are among the best in the market, providing top-notch protection with their multi-directional impact protection system.
However, you must adjust even the best helmet to fit the rider’s head shape and size. In this article, I will guide you through changing your Giro MIPS helmet to ensure maximum comfort and safety.
Why is it Essential to Adjust your Giro MIPS Helmet?
Adjusting your Giro MIPS helmet to ensure maximum protection and comfort is essential. A poorly fitting helmet can compromise its protective properties and increase the risk of injury in the event of an accident.
If your helmet is too loose, it may shift around on your head, reducing its ability to absorb impact and protect your head.
On the other hand, if your helmet is too tight, it may cause discomfort, headaches, or even affect your vision.
Adjusting your Giro MIPS helmet correctly ensures it fits snugly on your head, providing optimal protection without compromising comfort.
This is especially important if you are engaging in high-impact activities, such as cycling or skiing, where a properly fitting helmet can make all the difference in preventing injuries.
What are the Different Parts of a Giro MIPS Helmet that You Can Adjust?
A Giro MIPS helmet typically has several parts that you can adjust to achieve the perfect fit. These include:
1. Straps – You can adjust the length of the straps to ensure a secure and comfortable fit under your chin.
2. Retention system – The retention system is the mechanism that adjusts the helmet’s fit around your head. It usually consists of a dial or a ratcheting system at the back of the helmet that you can change to tighten or loosen the fit.
3. Padding – Most Giro MIPS helmets come with removable and washable padding that you can adjust to improve the fit and comfort of the helmet.
4. Visor – Some Giro MIPS helmets have a visor that you can adjust to block out the sun or wind.
5. Chin guard – If your Giro MIPS helmet comes with a chin guard, you can adjust it to fit snugly against your face for added protection.
Adjusting these different parts of your Giro MIPS helmet allows you to achieve a customized, comfortable fit that maximizes safety and performance.
Step-by-Step Guide to Adjusting Giro MIPS Helmet
Follow the steps below to adjust your Giro MIPS helmet for a perfect fit:
Step 1: Measure Your Head
To ensure the correct helmet size, measure your head using a soft measuring tape. Place the measuring tape above your eyebrows and wrap it around your head, ensuring it’s parallel to the ground. Note down the measurement in centimeters.
Step 2: Select the Correct Size.
Using the measurement from Step 1, select the correct size of the Giro MIPS helmet. Giro MIPS helmets come in different sizes, ranging from XS to XL, and it’s essential to choose the right size to get the best protection.
Step 3: Adjust the Chinstrap
The chinstrap of your Giro MIPS helmet should be snug but not too tight that it chokes you. Adjust the chinstrap using the slider until you achieve the perfect fit. The chin strap should sit low on your chin, and you should be able to fit only one finger between the belt and your chin.
Step 4: Adjust the Rear Retention System
The rear retention system of the Giro MIPS helmet helps secure the helmet to your head. Adjust the fit by turning the dial or slider until the helmet fits snugly to your head. The retention system should feel comfortable but not too tight that it gives you a headache.
Step 5: Adjust the Padding
The padding of your Giro MIPS helmet ensures that it fits your head comfortably. Adjust the padding by adding or removing the pads that come with the helmet. The places should cover the top, sides, and back of your head without leaving any gaps.
Step 6: Check the Fit
After adjusting all the elements of your Giro MIPS helmet, it’s time to check the fit. Ensure that:
- The helmet sits low on your forehead
- The helmet doesn’t obstruct your vision.
- The helmet is level and not tilted to one side.
- The helmet is snug but tight enough.
- The straps form a Y-shape under your ears.
- The chinstrap is adjusted to fit only one finger between it and your chin.
What are the Benefits to Adjust Your Giro MIPS Helmet?
Here are the benefits of adjusting your Giro MIPS helmet, listed in bullet points:
- Provides maximum protection
- Increases comfort
- Fits snugly on your head
- Reduces risk of injury
- Improves helmet’s ability to absorb impact
- Ensures optimal performance
- Enhances overall safety
By adjusting your Giro MIPS helmet correctly, you can enjoy these benefits and have peace of mind knowing that you are well-protected during high-impact activities.
What Common Mistakes to Avoid When Adjusting Your Giro MIPS Helmet?
When adjusting your Giro MIPS helmet, there are a few common mistakes that you should avoid to ensure maximum safety and comfort. These include:
- Wearing the helmet too far back on your head or forehead – This can expose your forehead and compromise the protection provided by the helmet.
- Not adjusting the straps correctly – If the straps are too loose or tight, the helmet can shift or fall off during a ride.
- Over-tightening the retention system can cause discomfort, and headaches and even reduce blood flow to your head.
- Ignoring signs of wear and tear – If your Giro MIPS helmet is showing signs of wear and tear, such as cracks or dents, it may no longer provide adequate protection and should be replaced.
- Not checking the fit regularly – It is essential to check the fit of your Giro MIPS helmet regularly, mainly if you have gained or lost weight or if the helmet has been subjected to an impact.
You can enjoy a safe and comfortable ride every time by avoiding these common mistakes and ensuring that your Giro MIPS helmet is adjusted correctly.
Read More: Weight of MIPS Helmets?
Maintaining Your Giro MIPS Helmet
Once you’ve adjusted your Giro MIPS helmet, it’s essential to keep it to ensure optimal protection.
- Regularly wash the helmet with mild soap and water. Avoid using harsh chemicals that can damage the helmet’s outer shell.
- Allow the helmet to air dry before storing it in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight.
- Avoid dropping your helmet or exposing it to extreme heat, which can compromise its protective properties.
- Check the helmet for any signs of damage or wear and tear regularly. If you notice any cracks or other damage, replace the helmet immediately.
FAQs About How to Adjust Your Giro MIPS Helmet?
How do I know if my Giro MIPS helmet is the correct size?
Measure your head and compare it to the helmet size chart to select the correct size.
How tight should my Giro MIPS helmet be?
Your helmet should fit snugly on your head but not too tight that it gives you a headache.
Can I adjust the padding in my Giro MIPS helmet?
Yes, you can adjust the padding in the helmet by adding or removing the pads that come with the helmet.
How often should I replace my Giro MIPS helmet?
Replacing your helmet every three to five years or after a significant impact is recommended.
Can I wear a beanie or cap under my Giro MIPS helmet?
No, wearing a beanie or cap under your helmet can affect its fit and compromise its protective properties.
Adjusting your Giro MIPS helmet correctly ensures maximum protection and comfort. Follow the step-by-step guide outlined in this article to adjust your helmet to fit your head perfectly. Remember to maintain your helmet regularly to ensure it continues to provide optimal protection.
Hey, I’m Hrithik Hossain. I am the head of helmethacks.com, which specializes in safety helmets. I am looking to connect with anyone interested in purchasing a helmet or who has any questions about different types of helmets. I have over 8 years of experience as a helmet expert, and I can’t wait to help you find the perfect helmet for you. I can help you with any questions regarding helmets, from the best brands to fitting, style, and more! I really enjoy keeping people safe by ensuring they have the best protection possible.