A helmet is the most important safety gear a motorcyclist can have. However, storing a helmet properly is essential to ensure its safety and performance.
There are many ways to store a motorcycle helmet. You can buy a lockable safe that you put the helmet in, you can use an airtight box, you can use an ammo box or even using a cardboard box.
This post provides tips on how to store motorcycle helmets.
Why Should You Store a Motorcycle Helmet?
Motorcycle helmets are an important safety precaution for both the rider and those around them. Here are 5 reasons why you should store your motorcycle helmet:
- If you have to stop on the side of the road, having a helmet will protect your head from being hit by debris or another vehicle.
- If you fall off your bike, having a helmet will help reduce the severity of brain injuries if you hit your head on the ground.
- Riding without a helmet is considered careless and can lead to fines, suspension of your driver’s license and even jail time.
- Motorcycle helmets can be damaged in crashes, so it is important to have a spare if possible.
- If your motorcycle is stolen, having a helmet will help law enforcement locate and recover it more quickly.
7 Steps to Store Your Motorcycle Helmet properly
1. Create a Safe Storage Area
Like most riders, you probably take your motorcycle helmet seriously. After all, it’s one of your most important safety items. But what if something happened and you couldn’t find your helmet? Or worse yet, what if it got stolen?
If this happens to you, you can do a few things to ensure your helmet is safe and secure.
First, keep it in a safe place where no one can get to it. You could store it in a locked cupboard or cabinet or bury it underground.
Second, ensure that the helmet is properly inspected and serviced annually by a certified mechanic. This will help ensure that the helmet is in good condition and won’t fall apart on you during an accident.
Finally, always use the correct motorcycle helmet for your head size.
2. Keep Your Helmet Clean
Keeping your motorcycle helmet clean and free of dirt, dust, and other debris is essential.
Here are some tips to help you:
- Wipe the exterior of the helmet with a clean, dry cloth.
- If necessary, use mild soap, detergent, and water to clean the helmet’s interior. Rinse it off thoroughly before putting it back on your head.
- Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive cleaners on your helmet because they can damage the finish. Instead, use a soft cloth moistened with mild water and soap solution.
- Never attempt to polish or clean the helmet yourself – this is a job for a professional bike technician!
Check Also: Dirt Bike Helmet Cleaning Methods
3. Remove the Stains
There are a few ways to remove the stains from a motorcycle helmet. Many people simply pour a pot of boiling water onto the stain and wait for it to evaporate.
Others use a household bleach solution, although this method is less effective and may cause further damage to the helmet.
Another option is to use a vacuum cleaner with the hose attachment set to low pressure, which can remove most types of stains.
4. Use a Helmet Cover
Helmet covers make excellent storage containers for helmets. They are easy to grab and store and protect helmets from dust, dirt, and other debris.
When not used, helmet covers can be propped up against a wall or cabinet for easy access.
5. Store Your Helmet in a Dry Place
Store Your Helmet in a Dry Place:
- Keep your helmet in a clean, dry place when not in use.
- If you will be storing your helmet for an extended period, place it in a dry bag or container.
- Do not leave your helmet sitting in water or other moist environments.
- Do not subject the helmet to extreme temperatures or vibrations.
6. Store Your Helmet Properly
Helmets are essential safety equipment for cyclists and should be stored properly to ensure their effectiveness. Here are a few tips on how to store your helmet:
- Always store your helmet in a cool, dry place.
- If you are not using your helmet for an extended period, ensure it is properly cleaned and inspected by a qualified mechanic or cycling professional. This includes checking the padding, chin straps, and brow band for any tears or damage.
- When storing your helmet with other cycling gear, ensure the items are not touching or overlapping. This can cause static electricity, which can damage your equipment.
- Never stack helmets on each other or put them in a closed container where they will become damp or humid.
7. Proper Maintenance
Helmet maintenance is essential to ensure that the helmet is in good condition and can be used safely. The helmet should be cleaned and inspected at least once a year, more often if it seems to be not working correctly.
Dirt, dust, and other debris can build up inside the helmet, causing it not to fit properly or fog up during use. In addition, helmets should be checked for cracks or tears in the fabric that may allow air or moisture into the helmet.
Check Also: Do Motorcycle Helmets Have Expiration Dates?
Where to Store Motorcycle Helmet?
Helmet storage is an essential consideration for motorcycle riders. Ideally, the helmet should be stored where it will not get damaged or dusty. Here are some ideas for storing a motorcycle helmet:
In the bike’s trunk: This is probably the most common way to store a motorcycle helmet. Make sure to remove the padding and straps before putting it in the trunk, as these items could damage the paintwork or interior of the car if they become entangled in the gears.
In a locked cabinet: If you don’t have enough space in your trunk, consider storing your helmet in a locked cabinet at home. This will protect it from theft and will also keep it dust-free.
When to Store a Motorcycle Helmet
There are several factors to consider when storing your motorcycle helmet. These factors include the type of helmet, the weather, and the time of year.
When a motorcycle helmet is not in use, it is best to store it. This will prevent damage to the helmet and to the motorcycle.
The helmet should be stored in a dry, well-ventilated place. If the helmet is stored in a damp place, the interior of the helmet will absorb moisture.
Check Also: lifespan of a motorcycle helmet
The Benefits of Storing a Motorcycle Helmet
The benefits of storing a motorcycle helmet in the off-season include:
Helmet protection: Storing your helmet in the off-season means that you will have a helmet that is ready to use when you need it. Next season, you will be able to ride with a helmet that has not been subjected to the elements for a long time.
Protection from the elements: If you store your helmet in a dry, cool location, it will be protected from the elements.
Protection from insects: If you store your helmet in a dry, cool location, it will be protected from insects.
Protection from moisture: If you store your helmet in a dry, cool location, it will be protected from moisture.
The Reasons Why You Should Store a Motorcycle Helmet
The reason for this is simple. If you don’t store your helmet in the cold, you will be exposed to moisture. Moisture is the enemy of your helmet. Moisture can cause many problems, including mold, mildew, and bacteria.
FAQ of how to store motorcycle helmet
What should I look for when buying a motorcycle helmet?
The best helmets are made of hard plastic, are DOT certified, have good ventilation, and are light.
How do I wash a motorcycle helmet?
You should clean your helmet by hand with a soft brush and mild soap.
How do I dry a motorcycle helmet?
You can dry a helmet in the sun or in the shade.
How long will a motorcycle helmet last?
A helmet will last 7-10 years if kept in a cool, dry place.
How do I store a motorcycle helmet?
You should keep your helmet in a cool, dry place and make sure that it is not exposed to sunlight
How can I make sure my helmet is safe?
When you put your helmet on, ensure it is secure and has the correct fit. Also, you want to ensure that the helmet is dry and the liner is clean.
How can I keep my helmet from getting scratched?
Keep your helmet in a protective case.
What can I do to remove the smell from my helmet?
There are many ways to remove the smell from your helmet. You can soak it in water and then use a deodorizer or spray it with air freshener.
In conclusion, there are many ways to store a motorcycle helmet. You can buy a lockable safe that you put the helmet in, you can use an airtight box, you can use an ammo box or even use a cardboard box.. The most important thing is to make sure the helmet is stored in a safe and secure place.
Hey, I’m Hrithik Hossain. I am the head of helmethacks.com, which specializes in safety helmets. I am looking to connect with anyone interested in purchasing a helmet or who has any questions about different types of helmets. I have over 8 years of experience as a helmet expert, and I can’t wait to help you find the perfect helmet for you. I can help you with any questions regarding helmets, from the best brands to fitting, style, and more! I really enjoy keeping people safe by ensuring they have the best protection possible.